BIMx was ranked third out of the ten apps for architects recently reviewed by editors of ArchDaily.com. The revolutionary application from GRAPHISOFT is a set of mobile and desktop software tools that present the 3D model and 2D documentation of Building Information Models quite interactively. BIMx allows steering just as the FPS does, which is a well known navigational trope and is not limited to the movements of a traditional 3D model.
Features of BIMx – Building Information Modeling Explorer
The features of BIMx make it capable enough to change the way people view and explore BIM projects on their touchscreen devices:
- BIMx Hyper Models: This is a revolutionary technology that integrates the complete scope of BIM models into the touchscreen environment of cell phones or tablets. It has navigation based on the context, making it easy for not technical people to understand the building project.
- 2D and 3D Conversion: BIMx enables the user to trace 2D drawings over 3D models, helping him to understand the BIM project better. It rules out the difficulty faced by many people in comprehending 2D plans and static 3D views.
- Real-time 3D Cutaway Function: One can slice or cut the model with a user friendly slider. This makes it very simple to understand and bring together the models. The cut surfaces are tinted with an orange color. The cutting plane can be moved along the vertical/horizontal direction which gives a much better overview of the entire model and helps in locating internal model parts that are hard to find with the exploring method.
- Navigation Speed: Construction documents may contain a huge number of sheets. Despite this, BIMx is capable of providing high navigational speed. It is a unique application providing access to an incorporated BIM environment with such great speed.
- Navigation Markers: The model-based, context-sensitive hyperlinks on BIMx hyper models are very much like the hyperlinks on the web. The only difference is their point of reference in the 3D space and on 2D drawings, which adds an essential extra aspect that is helpful for understanding the model while simply moving through it.
- Cloud Connection: The stakeholder may be outside the office environment, but this does not stop BIMx from offering a smooth and easy communication workflow with a direct link to the BIM project in the BIM authoring tool. The cloud based BIMx transfer service ensures that the latest updates and changes reach the user in a quick and effective manner.
- BIMx on Mobile Platforms: BIMx is available on iOS and Android platforms. It is easily downloadable from Apple Store or Google Play Store.
BIMx models help potential clients to understand an architect’s work. An architect can also walk current clients through models easily using BIMx. QR codes linked to BIMx models in a set of documents become a great source to traditional details. Far removed from the construction site, BIMx models on tablets or mobiles are great assets at client meetings too.